Learn from your mistakes.

Friday, December 20, 2013

When I was a kid and I would mess up I would get yelled at for it, and feel so awful.  I was ashamed, embarrassed, sad--- all sorts of things.  To the point that when I made a mistake I would hide it so no one would be mad at me. 

I was responsible for something, and while it was my responsibility, I lost it. I was terrified of 'fessing up to what I did.  What if the other person was livid? What do I do?

After texting a friend and losing my shit, I called and explained what happened.  The individual- was kind and understanding. I was shocked. I was so used to the blow up, shame, begging for forgiveness.

I would rather have my kids learn this way than feeling afraid to tell me something.  If I was not afraid to tell people things, I could save myself a lot of trouble. 

1 comments:

Mama Up! said...

That's why we make a habit of apologizing in our house and trying to move on. Even the grownups. I don't think I have as many things to say sorry about but when I do I usually NEED to say sorry and then have the other person move forward. No shaming me. I want my kids to know you can recover from a mistake without getting dragged through the coals.

Post a Comment