Fire suppression is not part of my job description. I do have a pretty wide job description- at last check I was not responsible for fire issues- that is why I have a fireman husband. But of course- he was at the firehouse (why would be home when catastrophe strikes- it would be against all rules for him to be here for any crisis.
I put the twin comforter in the dryer. Turned around to get a diet coke out of the basement fridge and the dryer started beeping with an error message that indicated to empty the lint filter. Which I did do, really I swear I did. I opened the dryer and smoke started pouring out (crap).
My mind blanked out. Kids out replayed in my mind over and over and over. Kids out. Kids out. Kids out.
Thank goodness our neighbors were home so they could go and stay warm there.
I could not reach the gas valve on the dryer. nor could I reach the plug. But I did know which circuit breaker to throw. Did that.
The fire department came. again.
Thank Heavens. Our house is fine. The kids are fine. Just a little scared. We will spend sometime cuddling and settling down. But it could have been much much worse.
DO NOT LEAVE YOUR DRYER RUNNING WHEN YOU ARE NOT HOME.