Antibacterial stuff has been all the rage. And it sucks. I get it though no one wants to get sick. Everyone wants to protect their kids but it does more harm than good- good old soap and water is good enough- also for please for heaven's sake use antibiotics properly.
I have just had an epic battle with a bacterial infection that was resistant to all but 2 antibiotics- if it became resistant to those 2 I would really be up shit creek.
See what happens is this you have a large group of bacteria which are roughly susceptible to the same antibiotics. You use them and one or two may develop a resistance. Those one or two multiply and then require a stronger antibiotic. Cycle repeats.
Then we have all of these resistant bacteria with limited options to treat them. This use to happen only occasionally because antibiotics were more judiciousness used now they are given for everything, and at home people are using antibacterial soaps and wipes and cleaners which are doing more harm than good leading to more and more resistant strains of bacteria that are harder and harder to treat.
I had to have a PICC line placed- a peripherally inserted central catheter- and IV that went from a deep vein in my arm and threaded through to my heart to receive IV antibiotics at home via IV for a few weeks to treat a bacteria that should have been easily dealt with- but it had developed resistance to all but to antibiotics.
So please stop contributing to the increase in resistant strains of bacteria. If you do get prescribed antibiotics finish the course. Take them as directed.