What is most important

Monday, December 5, 2011

Someone asked me recently what is the most important thing I teach my kids. Mentally, I started running through my list: reading? counting? speaking? potty learning?

None of them are the most important, sure they are important, but none of them jumped out at me as the absolute most important thing I teach them.

It hit me like Newton's Proverbial Apple, love. I teach them love. Teaching them love and compassion is the most important thing I teach my kids. At the end of they day, they know they are loved and cherished.

This knowledge shows in how they treat others. Princess is 7 but is more empathetic and compassionate than most adults, I am much more proud of this than her reading ability. Stinky, is sensitive and sweet, he wears his heart on his sleeve. Peas is passionate and loving, when I am upset or sick, no one can give hugs like she can. Even at 2 Pixie is understanding compassion. She sees when her siblings are sad and tries to make them feel better. She may grab stinky his trains if he is sad, or bring Princess her blankie, or hug Peas.

5 comments:

Diane said...

Your children are adorable. Love and compassion are two of the most important things to be teaching them in my book!

Thanks for stopping by today. :)

Jacki said...

Cannot agree with you more. If my son gets nothing else from me it is to have compassion and to stand up for others. So far, he seems to be on the right track.

Just Me said...

thanks! it is nice to get affirmation that i am making good choices for my kids!

Unknown said...

I love this! Teaching kids LOVE is absolutely numero uno on the "important things in life" list. :) Happy SITS day - your children have the cutest little faces!

The Lucky Wife @ The Saturday Evening Pot said...

I agree! Seems our society is so focused on achievement-related qualities that these types of lessons get drowned out.

Thanks for visiting for our SITS day (several weeks ago).... just now getting around to visiting some back. :)

Post a Comment