Lets talk about mental health stigma

Wednesday, September 5, 2012

I am pretty open with my mental health issues.  There are somethings I don't discuss because I am not really clear on how they happened and I do not want to give misinformation, but for the most part I put my brand of crazy out there.

When I started talking to a neighbor about it I was warned by my husband to not do that. Someone would think I was crazy.  When I talked to a friend about it who blogged about it, there was concern for judgement.

Ok- fine judge away.  I would rather be judged to be a wee bit nuts than being prejudice or hateful.  I may be nuts- but I am nice (most of the time).

Recently there have been a spate of articles that say how there should be more or less (depending on the article) gun control laws to prevent a tragedy such as Aurora, CO.

No- tighter/looser gun laws will not do crap. A criminal clearly has no interest in following laws and will probably find away to do whatever it is he wants to do.  Looser laws can easily lead to more shootings as 'mistakes'. 

What needs to happen is Mental Health reform and reduction of the stigma attached.

In the case of Mr. Holt he had been seeing someone. She had discussed him with her colleagues as a potential danger.  However- he began withdrawing from school and thus was out of their control.

All of this just is tragic.  One of the most tragic things is that it was preventable.

I really do not know anyway to fix this- I wish I did.  But all I can really do at this point is talk about it. Loudly. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment