A kick in the teeth-- or boob

Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mastitis is like a swift kick in the teeth or boob.

A summary-

* I was a little bit tired for a week
* Wednesday my throat was sore
* Thursday I woke up and was fine
* After breakfast I noticed my breast was sore
* Around 10 I thought I was dying
* By 11 I wished I would die
* Around noon I took as hot of a bath as I could stand then dressed in fleece, pjs, long sleeve shirt, bathrobe, sweatshirt and a towel on my head: I was a hot mess.
* I went to the doctor at 4:30- I had mastitis, aka, the flu of the breast

It sucked. Hot showers, my pump, and rice bags became the order of the day.

Why is it when something hurts my kids seem so much more drawn to try and touch me there? Of course they also used me being off my game to act up more than normal... apparently it is possible for my kids to act up even more- who knew!

Friday morning I had an ultrasound and I learned my mastitis had progressed to abscesses. Fab.

Saturday morning I was admitted to the hospital for IV antibiotics and possible surgery.

Great. Just great.

The antibiotic they used was Vancomycin the mother of all antibiotics. It worked.

I also received narcotic pain medication-- good stuff. It made it almost worth it.

At the end though I was begging to get out. It was the first nice weekend of the spring!

5 comments:

gin said...

That sounds absolutely terrible. I am so sorry it happened to you; this is one of the few downsides to breastfeeding; will you be able to nurse soon?

Heather Reese said...

I've never had it before, but my sister did, and described it just like you did. From fine to death's door in no time. I'm sorry!

Just Me said...

@gin i didn't stop. we were able to find safe meds! yay!

Susie B. Homemaker said...

Ouch, sounds painful. Glad to hear everything turned out ok and that you're still nursing.

Unknown said...

Wow! That is crazy terrible! I've had mastitis so many times and it always goes from bad to worse so quickly! I'm glad you're ok!

Post a Comment