Possession May Be 9/10 Of The Law..

Friday, April 22, 2011

But perspective is 9/10 of an individual's reality.

I have been fairly open in the past about my experiences in treatment in Utah. From my perspective it was, interesting. At the time I would have gone on a bitter raged filled diatribe on how my parents were cruel and awful. It was my perspective.

Recently, a friend of mine has struggled with her adolescent son. I see her pain. I see her frustration. I can see her son's side too, I can see what it feels like to feel totallay alone, to feel abandoned to feel just awful. Neither place is pleasent.

This has allowed me to see what my parents may have went through making the desperate choice to send a child away, to people they hoped and prayed would help. I'll admit that I still have twinges of disbelief that my parents ever cared about me that much, or were so worried and so scared. Regardless, this has allowed me to see things through a different set of eyes.

It is a lot easier to paint the other person as the villan. As the teenager it was easy to see my parents as dictators who were cruel and mean. As parents it is easier to see the kids as the problem and not recognize that everyone plays into it.

More than ever I am so sorry I put my parents through that. I am immensly grateful we came out of it ok.

If my parents went through even a fraction of what my friend is, I am more sorry that I can explain. I cannot imagine being in a situation like that. I hope that I will never know.

2 comments:

Denise said...

Thanks for writing that! I cannot tell you what your parents went through, but I can say it is horribly difficult to be the parent who makes these difficult decisions! As a parent, I would welcome an apology from my son. But I know that may not happen for a LONG time, if ever. All we can do is pray that he will come out of this stronger and more healthy and that as for the rest of the family, we come out stronger and have more "tools" to deal with hard things that come our way.

Heather Reese said...

I nominated you for a Versatile Blogger Award! Come pick your badge up on my blog!
http://icecreamdeprived.blogspot.com/2011/04/versatile-blogger-award.html

Post a Comment