Adventures in Targetland

Sunday, February 5, 2012

I had to go to Target today, otherwise known as the great money suck.

Anyway, I went, and standing in the fruit section picking out fruit to take to wake and some random person walked up to me and asked if I knew when the Ides of March were. Well, yes, I do. I have read Shakespeare's Julius Caesar. In fact, I wrote a paper on it.
Soothsayer.
Caesar!

Caesar.
Ha! Who calls me?

Casca.
Tell everyone to be quiet. Silence again!

Caesar.
Who is in the crowd that calls on me?
I hear a voice shriller than all the music
Cry "Caesar!" Speak. Caesar is turned to hear.

Soothsayer.
Beware the ides of March.

Caesar.
Who is that?

Brutus.
A soothsayer tells you to beware the ides of March.

Caesar.
Put him in front of me; let me see his face.

Cassius.
Fellow, come out of the crowd; look at Caesar.

Caesar.
What do you say to me now? Say it one more time.

Soothsayer.
Beware the ides of March.

Caesar.
He is a dreamer; let us leave him. Pass.

Act 2 Scene 1 Julius Caesar, William Shakespeare

The Ides of March is March 15. The middle of the month.

"Idus"= the half division- in Latin is the root word of 'ides'. Why specifically I remember this information, no idea.

But do I give off the "I read too damn much" vibe? or the "I have useless information coming out of my ears?" vibe? Is it normal to be approached in the middle of a discount chain store and quizzed on Shakespeare?

0 comments:

Post a Comment