warm blankets

Saturday, October 29, 2011

My mom taught me how to crochet when I was 5 or 6- even though she is lefty and I am righty- she still taught me. When I was 8 or 9 I remember my aunt teaching me how to knit late one Saturday night on the patio, in the summer. My grandma and great grandma made me blankets before I was born. My mom and grandma also taught me embroidery and cross-stitching. I have some talented family members. Learning from them gives me a connection to them. When I sit down and crochet I think of my mom and grandma. I think of their strength their brilliance. When I cross stitch I think of my mother, my aunt, my grandma, and my sister, all of this gives me a connection to them that I may not have otherwise. A thing which we share. Despite any differences. This bit unites us. This bit can never be taken away.

These are a few of my treasures. I know that I can pick up a skein of yarn and in a few(several) hours create something. I am not a skilled crochet-er or knitter by any means, but I am learning (thanks library!).

As I sat tonight on the couch working on a blanket for the new baby, my oldest kids came and sat by me asking for me to teach them how to crochet. Tomorrow, we have a crochet date.

Before each of my children have arrived I have made them a blanket. So they can be wrapped in love as I was. The blankets that were made for me will always be part of my treasured history.

2 comments:

Share said...

Thanks for the reminders - My mom and grandmother and Great Aunt taught me knitting and crocheting. I'm no expert, but it is a great way to spend a relaxing night in front of the TV. You also reminded me I need to finish my daughter's "baby" blanket - I started before she was born and she will be 2 in May 2012. Opps! :0)

Just Me said...

no worries! I have yet to finish scrapbooks.. they are on the to be done when I sit down shelf- which means maybe sometime before the kids move out, they will be completed

Post a Comment