Parenting In The Moment

Sunday, February 27, 2011

I am always anxious. Always, planning three steps ahead, worrying about getting everything done. Laundry, floors, dinner, dogs.... so much to do.

This week I read a book about Radical Unschooling and the philosophy that goes along with it. Before you go rolling your eyes- there are some good points- whether of not you agree with the entire lifestyle. I would love to embrace more of it- I would also love to pick Dayna Martin's brain about how she handles some issues.

One thing specifically that made sense to me was that she (Dayna Martin) always trusts herself to get things done, when the get done, they get done- in their own time- if it takes time it takes time- what is the worst that could happen? If you are always so worried about the future there is no time to enjoy the present.

This is something that I have been working into my daily life for the past week.

Everyone was sick- we had doctors appointments and commitments and I felt like I was constantly running. Driving down the road to a doctors appointment I stopped, and thought- what is the worst that could happen? I'd have to reschedule?? That is not so bad, and certainly not worth getting myself or the kids all worked up for.

So since that moment I have made a conscious effort to be present. When Pixie was in the hospital- I was all there. When I was playing trains with stinky, I was all there... by being all there I can give them more of a gift than I possibly can any other way.

0 comments:

Post a Comment