Ice Skating,...

Sunday, January 2, 2011




When I was a kid I have memories of double bladed skates, an outdoor rink, and my mom. Insignificant memories right? No.

They define my childhood and life. My mother was there to teach me and catch me. One step at a time.

Yesterday, I took Stinky and Princess skating. Princess, I have decided, is the girl I hated growing up- she just 'gets' everything. Once around the rink holding on to the side and she was off. She fell a few times but was up and gone by the time I was over to her- with a gaggle of new friends.

Stinky is much more risk averse. He takes time to warm up and then slowly builds his confidence. He loved it, decided he wants to play hockey...

Fast Forward.

Today, at worship, we learned that the youth group has rented the ice at a local rink- Princess's perked....

$1 for skate rental- I figured sure $1, okay we are in.

Peas- my little fearless child was, well fearless, she took to it like, anything. She loved it, her tantrum was for leaving. Despite promises that we would come back.

Stinky hugged the wall again, but did so well. Each time he went around he got braver and went faster or let go more.

Princess? She loved it. Nothing that girl can do would surprise me at this point she is just "that girl".

Pixie even walked on the ice, at 14 months old!

I never took skating lessons, I just lived at the 'Y' an outdoor rink, for years in the winter with friends.

My kids, I hope, will get as much joy from skating as I did... Heck still do- assuming, of course, I can move tomorrow.

3 comments:

Susie B. Homemaker said...

It looks like you guys had a lot of fun. :) I've been thinking of taking my oldest daughter skating (either ice or roller skating) one of these days. She's 5 1/2 and I think she may be ready for it now.

coolkids said...

fun! I just took my 4 1/2 year old skating last week. Wore me out!

Atwood-Family of FIVE said...

Anne's been wanting to go but I just think she's to young (actually she's 3 mos older than Stinky). Maybe if i can find a place w/ double bladed skates and a old man walker....I'll have to check it out!

Post a Comment