Breastfeeding in public

Monday, May 21, 2012

I have a lot of kids- which means we have to be out and about lest they (and I) go insane.  We went to the market this week and after browsing the kids had ice cream and LittleDude got hungry.  So I fed him.

This means I sat down on a bench, whipped my enormous boob out, and let LittleDude eat.
Honestly, I never gave it another thought. I rarely do!  This time a middle aged women walked by and gave me a thumbs up... we proceeded to talk about our experiences breastfeeding.

I have never gotten negative feedback for feeding my kids.  I do not know if I give off the "bring it on" vibe.. or if I just happen to be in the right place in the right time.  What would I do if someone actually said something negative to me about nursing in public.

Why bother saying something? Would it make me stop nursing in public? No. I guess I would, after restraining myself from unleashing a verbal diatribe on them, ask them why they had a problem with it, what specifically was the problem.

Why would anyone decide to speak up about it?  Have you ever had feedback about breastfeeding? What did you say?

2 comments:

True Daughter of Mary said...

I have often nursed in public, but I am pretty sure no one ever knew for sure what I was doing. After nursing 8 babies for a couple years each, you just accept that it has to be done sometimes, and I try to be very discreet. I once nursed my son in a very crowded doctor's office. One dad there hushed his son because he was afraid the boy would wake my very much awake and alert but nursing baby. No one has ever said a word to me.

Just Me said...

heavens 8! wow- five is a lot for us at the moment!

Post a Comment