Learning to love barbie

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

If you have read my blog you probably know that I am not a huge fan of Barbies.

A while ago- I posted about how I do not blame pop culture/barbies for eating disorders, especially mine- and it made me think about my thoughts and feelings regarding the dolls and popular culture in general.

I do not believe in giving in items or advertisements power. And by blaming barbie and media for the influx of eating disorders- we are inherently giving them power. By fearing them- we are allowing them to control us. Giving away that control and power is very dangerous, we as a culture, people, and gender, need to retain that.

Living in fear is more dangerous as is giving someone else control over what we think is dangerous and destructive.

A Barbie is nothing more than a Barbie until I give it more power and control to damage my children and myself.

1 comments:

Barb - The Empty Nest Mom said...

Hi, I'm stopping in from SITS. Saw your post title about Barbie's in your comment and had to check it out - maybe because my name is Barb (barbie when I was little....yeah - I know). Your 4 kids are adorable - I'm a mom to 4 kids too - 2 girls and 2 boys. Anyway - I just loved my Barbies and Kens and all when I was a little girl - but I don't think I paid so much attention to her figure. I loved the clothes - still love fabrics and design and sew a lot - quilt a lot too. And I loved to decorate little home spaces for them. My mom and dad didn't buy us Barbie furniture - we had to make it from things around the house. So it was creative really. Anyway - just my 2 cents. I hear what you're saying about her unrealistic figure - but as a little girl - that's not what I picked up on. Great post - great point you make.

Post a Comment