I have debated about posting this.

Friday, June 4, 2010

For a while.

***A disclaimer***
This is not a "see how mean my parents were" post this is something that I have been tossing around in my head for years. literally years. I am hoping that by putting it out there I can let it go or maybe understand it a bit better.

Many many years ago. My dad and I were driving home and we were on Second Street in my home town, it was twilight and I commented how much I loved to read and write. My dad replied that I would never hold a candle to my sister for her reading ability.

I do not think my dad meant to hurt me by saying that. He, I believe, meant to praise my sisters talent at writing and reading. Truth be told, she is a GIFTED journalist and reads voraciously. His purpose in saying that to me, I may never know; but I do know that it stayed with me for more than 20 years. I know that I never will be as good at things as my sister.

It may not have effected my so much if it were one comment in isolation, but it was everything. Never was I ever good at something. Someone was always better.

So now people are reading what I write I am over the moon about it. Like maybe I can do something after all

2 comments:

Mary said...

oh dear. I read your blog even if I am a lurker only. What damage parents can do without even thinking. I am sure that your parents thought you excelled over your sister at other things. You are raising a wonderful happy family alone and I believe that motherhood is the most important job one can do at that period of time.

Heather said...

I like your writing!

Parents--they get us in the darndest ways...leaving some pretty deep impressions.

Post a Comment