Pain. Unbelievable pain.

Monday, June 14, 2010

In the midst of recovering from a crazy insane weekend I noticed something about my trips to the potty. Things were not the normal clear color. In my mind I figured that I just did not drink enough and needed to have some more water. To simple. It changed again- to red. This was odd. No pain, no fever NOTHING. NOTHING to make me think I was sick. To the point I was even wondering if I had a delayed reaction to the fruit punch I had a week ago. Maybe, maybe, if I wanted to be dramatic about it I could say I had back cramping- it was so mild it was hardly worth thinking about.

But since blood coming out of anywhere is usually not a good thing, I called my doc and made an appointment. The next day I went in and gave my sample and sat on the table to be examined. She poked and prodded- did any of this hurt? No. Did I feel sick?? Not even a little. huh. The quicky dipstick came back: HELLO INFECTION. I was sent home with antibiotics. Dropped them off and the kids and I went to play outside. Over the course of the afternoon I became less comfortable; it was hard to find a place to sit. I was achy. Close to 3 p.m. when I got up I had a decided pain in my back, it hurt- but felt like I needed to stretch it. It got worse. A lot worse by the time we had cleaned up outside my ache had transformed into a pain. A severe pain. I could be comfortable anywhere, I could not focus on anything. I could not see anything except pain. In those minutes all I could see was pain.

Princess was amazing she assumed charge of the little kids while I writhed in pain. my friend happened to be next door and able to take me to the pharmacy to fill some pain medication. I did- and it did not touch the pain. My this time the pain had continued to increase in intensity. When I managed to get to the hospital I could not walk.

The hospital had me in a room right away. As I got into the bed I needed to vomit a lot. As I got sick the doctor came in and started talking to me like nothing was happening... "what brings you in today".... *puke*... "how long has this been happening?"... *more puking and gagging*

The nurse started an IV expertly and gave me medicine for pain: Dilaudid and Toradol as well as Zofran for nausea. The meds worked. The pain was dulled. I felt heavy and warm in a narcotic pain medication haze. I received Dilaudid every 2 hours for the next 24 hours.

The doctor ordered a CT scan to see what was going on... what a shock I was in for. Everyone had guessed their were stones in my kidneys. What I did not expect was to have so many huge stones in my right kidney and a medium sized one blocking my ureter which was causing the pain. With that I was admitted. And I gained another specialist a Urologist.

The next day I had the pleasure of a procedure to place a stent in there to let some of the pressure off. There were some issues placing it and it was decided that I need to have some more procedures done but for now I am much more comfortable.


Post a Comment