Pole dancing as therapy

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

If you have read my blog much you know that I have an eating disorder. My weight is steady now and I actually eat somewhat normally (what mom eats normally??).

When I first started at Tease I would look in the mirror and see fat and flaws and I could name a million other things that are 'wrong' with me. One thing I was actually worried about was talking negatively about myself given Kristin Hubbard's "no negativity" clause- yes I signed it- yes I was more concerned with that than falling and breaking my leg.

A while ago at Tease before class I was stretching and I looked in the mirror. My self talk- did not go immediately to flaws. I actually was content. Which has not happened since I was maybe 8 years old. But I was proud of my body- my strong legs that play and chase and run. I saw my stomach- not the skin that is a little extra but the body that fed and grew my children. I saw my breasts as sensual also I admired them for feeding my children.

It took me a second before I realized what was happening. That I was not critiquing that I was admiring and being thankful. Again I do not remember when that EVER happened- not even after years of therapy. But 9 weeks of Tease?? yep.

So Kristin is not compensating me in anyway for this- but I would gladly accept if she were to offer- please please please try these classes. What they have done for me they can do for you. Give it a try. What do you have to lose 90 minutes-- you lose that in traffic. Try it. Please.

0 comments:

Post a Comment