Rest In Peace

Monday, December 27, 2010

You may have noticed that I have been oddly silent lately. There are a few reasons:

1) My screen broke
2) The day after my new screen got put in, my keyboard broke (with help from a 1 year old)
3) There was a tragedy on the Chicago Fire Department- and I need to say something, but do not know what to say- or how to address it.

The loss of a firefighter doing their job is a tragedy. It hits close to home. Way to close to home for me.

I sheltered the kids from seeing the events transpire but I admit I watched coverage on the web in my room. As the firefighters frantically searched for their brothers all I could do was curl in a pseudo tornado drill position covering my head and crying. The big heaving cry that makes your chest hurt.

How to address it? What to say? What can be said? Nothing. Nothing can bring those souls back. Nothing can fix it. We are left helpless.

Their deaths are incredible tragedies- a loss for the community as well as the department.

Of course I am thankful for the men and women who put their lives on the line daily. I am immensely thankful for their courage, for their sacrifice.

Tomorrow they will be laid to rest. Tomorrow they will be honored for their heroism. God Bless them.

0 comments:

Post a Comment